Whether you’re a cat person or not, you have to admit that cats are amazing creatures. Cute, funny and mysterious, they’ve been fascinating people for thousands of years. Cats are arguably the most popular pets worldwide but how well do we know them? Here are 10 amazing facts about cats you probably didn’t know.
And while we’re at it, how about starting your day with a beautiful cat or kitten picture? Install our extension and get a new randomly selected HD cat image in each new tab you openGet it on Chrome Web Store
So here are 10 fascinating facts about our furry friends:
10. Cats purr for different reasons and not necessary because they’re happy. Yes, most of the time purring means the cat is happy and content but it can also indicate an illness or injury.
9. Contrary to popular myth, cats can’t see in total darkness. However, they do see far better than humans in low light because of the structure of their eyes.
8. Cats can’t taste sweets. Yep, strange but true — cats lack the receptor for sweetness. Same apply for their wild cousins, including lions, tigers and jaguars.
7. Cats can’t move their jaw sideways like humans can, so they prefer smaller bites of food.
6. A cat’s ear consist of around 30 muscles which allow them to move each ear independently from the other.
5. Most adult cats are lactose intolerant (like most adult humans). This means they cannot digest milk at all.
4. Calico cats are almost always female.
3. Cats greet one another by touching their noses together.
2. A cat’s sense of hearing is incredible. Human’s sense of hearing is in a range of 20 hertz up to 20 kilohertz, a dog can hear up to 40 kilohertz and a cat can hear sounds up to 60 kilohertz!
1. Cats can make about 100 different types of sounds.